Our biome is Temperate grasslands. Temperate grasslands have to endure many tornados and fires. The different places where temperate grasslands are are North American Prairies, The Aregtinian Pampas, North American New England, the South African Velt, the Steppes of Asia, and the Range Land of Australia. This places are very different but they all have one thing in common: they are temperate grasslands.
Description of temperate grasslands-
The word temperate describes the weather there which is hot in summer and chilly in winter. Temperate parts of the world hardly ever get as hot as the tropics and as cold as the Polar regions, but most are in the middle. Temperate grasslands are the most important biomes in the world as many organisms live in this climate and feed off the food produced here. Temperate grasslands change all the time in winter they are dark and grey and flowers emerge and are colorful in the spring. To survive, grassland plants have to adapt and they spread to every continent even Antarctica. The rain fall amount changes every year and allows trees and dense vegetation like forests. Deserts occur in places where there is less rain fall. Temperate grasslands are in the middle with more rain than deserts and less than forests. However, temperate grasslands aren't all the same and can be dusty or muddy. In any grassland you should be able to find dozens of varieties of grass to support different populations of animals.
Do you think you live nearby a temperate grassland?
Information from book Temperate Grasslands by Ben Hoare
Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I do think that I could live near a temparate grass land but I don't know if I do. New Jersey does not seem like the place that would have them except we do have a temperate temperature. There probably are some in the US.
ReplyDelete- Ilana 4/5
Wow, I didn't know that grasslands could be muddy! I thought they were all very dry! Also, I thought it would be snowing during winter, and would get very cold and icy. It must be really hot that during winter, it only gets dark and gray! Great job! This really helped clear some things up and help me get a better understanding of temperate grasslands!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Hanna :)